Monday, September 06, 2004

Maybe There's More That Needs To Be Considered

Today was my first experience at golfing in a scramble. It was really fun. I dont think I performed real well, my partner carried me, but it was fun none the less. Afterward, I had a great chance to have some stimulating conversation with adults at dinner, which was great, since I dont get that chance often enough. We had some spirited conversation about the welfare system, the poor, and the answers to mankind's problems. In retrospect it was pretty funny conversation...more in the spirit of "we know all the answers to solve the world's problems."

So after this, I then came home to do some cleaning and relaxing. It was then that I re-read my blog entry from the other night. Sometimes I crack myself up when I get on a roll. I mean, it is so easy to fall into the trap of boiling everything down and then taking a stance based on only part of the picture. Now dont get me wrong...I still feel the things I wrote in my last post, but maybe there is more to the picture.

I mean, here is something I have been thinking about. It seems to me that George Bush is very vocal about his "defense of marriage." He talks about how he would support a marriage ammendment. Our churches are often the same way. I cant count how many times I have heard preachers talk about the sin of homosexuality. They powerfully speak out against homosexuality and are very passionate about it. I agree totally. Homosexuality is a sin...no if's, and's, or but's about it. So since we know that, let's go a little deeper.

I mean, what I always walk away from these speeches with is that maybe it should be a more personal take on the issue. Homosexuality is kind of like the last accepted prejudice in the church. Why aren't our churches or passionate politicians talking about how today's Christians are sinning when they reject homosexuals instead of loving them. It seems to me that our churches are failing in this arena.


Or what about adultry. When over 50% of today's marriages are ending in divorce, and a HUGE percentage of those divorces are due to adultry,why arent our passionate politicians taking a stand on this "defense of marriage?" Have you heard any presidential candidates state a position on adultry? Interesting since it is talked about clearly in the Bible, the book we love to quote in regards to other issues, as a sin. I mean, I am tired of talking to kids who's lives are being ripped apart because of the immoral and immature actions of parents who arent living their lives according to the Word of God.

There's definitely more to the picture. I want to see our candidates talk about some "mainstream" issues...those things like adultry, gluttony, pride, or lust. I wonder how many people would be openly supporting them when the issues start to hit a little closer to home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home