Thursday, October 07, 2004


"Reality" TV? Give me a break...
I love this show...The Apprentice. I watched it last season, and as is uaually the case, I called the winner from very early in the season. This season is great too. The women contestants are completely annoying, but overall, the show is a regular part of my Thursday night TV. And Thursday night TV is a regular part of my world! Love it.
So anyway, I was watching this, and Survivor before it, and I started laughing (which is really embarassing...even though I was totally by myself...ever felt that way...embarassed about laughing at TV when you're by yourself?). I was thinking about the fact that "TV people"call this reality TV. REALITY TV?!?!?! Whatever! Who's reality are they talking about? Who lives on an island in the middle of nowhere, eats bugs, and carries around a torch as a symbol of life? Even the concept of tribes...who lives that way anymore? Then there's The Apprentice. It's The Donald's creation...need I say more? I mean, could anyone ever be more out of touch with reality than The Donald? The man has a gold penthouse appartment in Manhattan. He has a private 747. He owns stinkin New York! Reality? Right. Or what about The Real World on MTV. I haven't seen this show for quite some time, but when I was in college, I used to watch it all the time. It really was the pioneer of this thing they are calling "reality TV." And let me asure anyone who might for one second think this way of living is normal...IT'S NOT! haha.
Sometimes I wonder if the current reality TV craze is affecting us as a nation..as a people. It seems like it could lead to problems. When we're fed a picture of reality that isnt really reality...hmm.
Anyway...I love The Apprentice. As for now, I'm going to keep watching it. I'll make sure to spend some time getting grounded again after each and every show on Thursday night. Ha ha. I mean, I dont think I am having a problem yet with losing touch on reality. Some people say that since I painted my front door with gold leaf, gilded my coffee table, and hairspray my hair until it is as hard as concrete I am losing touch. I dont think so...do you? Ha ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home