Monday, August 27, 2007

the small things...

i had a really interesting conversation with a friend today...it left me with a nagging question...one i've tackled before...i still dont have an answer to the question...not from my previous wrestling...and not from today...so here's the deal...

when we say "god has a plan for my life" what do we really mean?...do we mean that he has a plan of where we are to work, who we are to marry, and what our hobbies are to be?...do we think god literally has a plan for where we are to work?...do we think that god literally has a plan for one specific person for us to marry?...i see two possibilities to these questions...the first is yes...he does...and we need to work diligently to discover what that plan is...this option seems like a lot of pressure to me...mostly because i cant ever remember know 100% for sure that i was making the one decision that god wanted me to make...i think there have been times when i was pretty sure...there have been a lot of times when i didn't care (embarassingly)...and there have been times when i knew i wasn't...but i cant ever remember knowing 100% for sure that i was making the big decision that god wanted me to make...even coming to california...i mean, there were some pretty clear signs that i am walking down a path that god is blessing...but what if i had decided not to come...would i then be on a "less blessed" path?...was god concerned with me coming to california?...

the second option i see is that god doesn't care about some of these details...maybe god doesn't care about where i work...maybe he doesn't care about who i date (obviously there are many thoughts that can contradict that one)...maybe he doesn't care about what i do in my free time...maybe instead he cares about my character while i am doing these things...i mean think about it...nowhere in the bible does it say "you should be an accountant"...instead, it says "you should love others" and "as you go through life tell people about me"...it never says "you must move to california"...instead it does say "if you move to california, serve the people you find there and tell them jesus loves them"...

so here's the whole deal with this thing...i've spent a lot of time seeking god's guidance and lordship on the biggies...like where i am supposed to work, and what i am supposed to be doing with my life...but i am starting to wonder if i should instead just continue to focus on allowing god to shape my character...no matter where i work...no matter who i am dating...and no matter what the circumstances of my life at the particular moment...maybe this is how i allow god to be the lord of my life...in the small things...

till next time...

(ps...i'm not sure i've communicated this well at all...hit me up if this is confusing)

1 Comments:

Blogger bh said...

daniel, it's good to be back. after reading kyle lake's book on the subject (which i borrowed from you and will be fed-exing back in the near future), i lean towards option #2, but take my opinion for what it's worth. he really hammers the concept of God being Father and us being son... i.e., i don't want to tell my son every detail of how he is going to live his life, but i do want my son to live life to the fullest and experience things/decisions for himself, and along the way figure out how he was created to live...

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home